The Bottle Garden was originally laid out as a boxwood-lined parterre garden sometime between the late 1810s and the late 1820s. Parterre gardens, with their low plantings and geometric patterns, were designed to be seen from the gallery of the raised house and were common to French landscape design. After a blight killed the boxwood hedges, the Prudhomme family used bottles from the wine cellar below the house to line the planting beds. The family maintained this tradition until the NPS acquired the property, replacing broken bottles with new ones or older ones from the wine cellar.
Today, the roughly rectangular Bottle Garden contains beds in geometric shapes: rectangles, diamonds, hearts, waves, circles, clovers, and stars, laid out with sense of symmetry. The bottle edging includes wine bottles from Taylor Wine Company, ale and stout beer bottles, salt-glazed stoneware bottles, Anheuser-Busch beer bottles, mineral water bottles, soda water bottles, and bitters bottles. The oldest bottles date to around 1790, while the newest bottle dates to the late 1990s.
Last updated: July 16, 2021