Last updated: December 13, 2017
- 4310 220th Trail, Amana IA
- Historical interpretation
- National Historic Landmark
- OPEN TO PUBLIC:
- MANAGED BY:
- Amana Heritage Society
The Museum of Amana History is comprised of three 19th-century buildings - the Noé House, the Schoolhouse and the Woodshed/Washhouse. The buildings are used to interpret communal life in the Amana Colonies. The Noé House, built in 1864 of locally produced brick, was originally a communal kitchen and later a doctor's residence. The original woodshed/wash house still stands just to the south of the Noé House. The schoolhouse, built in 1870, operated as a school until 1954 after which it served as the Amana Post Office and a Sunday School. It has been part of the Museum of Amana History since 1976.
Exhibits in the Noé House trace the history and development of the Amana Colonies, depict a church interior, and display the varied crafts and industries of the Inspirationists. Temporary exhibits and special programs focus on particular aspects of Amana's culture. The Schoolhouse contains exhibits pertaining to Christmas in communal Amana, the Kinderschule, toys, handwork, carpet weaving, and a school display. An audio-visual presentation on Amana's history is shown regularly in the Schoolhouse. The woodshed/washhouse contains wine-making and gardening displays.