Last updated: July 28, 2017
- Roughly bounded by MT 69, Riverside Rd. & Boulder R
- Health/Medicine, Social History, Education, Architecture
- National Register of Historic Places
- OPEN TO PUBLIC:
The period of significance begins in 1912, when the school's south campus first developed, and continues through 1970, when a stark transition toward deinstitutionalization began. The district gains additional significance under Criterion C. The development of the campus over a span of fifty years is reflected in the architecture of the buildings. The district contains examples of the Italian Renaissance Revival, International, and Modernist styles. Several of the buildings are associated with Montana's premiere architects, C.S. Haire and J.G. Link. The buildings reflect not only evolving institutional demographics and strategies of care for the disabled but also shifting architectural trends. Indeed, as then Superintendent Robert Perry explained in 1971, the campus's architecture and grounds planning is a veritable museum of concepts of treatment.