Last updated: May 5, 2021
McGinnis Ferry Boat, Canoe, and Raft Launch
Boat Ramp, Canoe/Kayak/Small Boat Launch, Information Kiosk/Bulletin Board, Parking - Auto, Parking - Boat Trailer, Parking - Bus/RV, Picnic Table
The McGinnis Ferry Launch provides access to the river for power boats, canoes, kayaks, rafts, and tubes. This launch has a rather small parking area.
Be sure to check the Current Estimated E. coli count before starting your trip. If the count at Medlock Bridge is greater than 235 you have an increased risk of getting sick. Contact with the river is NOT recommended.
Water Release Schedule
Water conditions on the Chattahoochee River are influenced on a daily basis by water releases from Buford Dam. The water release schedule can be obtained by calling (770) 945-1466, or toll free 1-855-DAM-FLOW (1-855-326-3569), or visit their Hydropower Generating Schedule website. Besides showing the time for scheduled releases it also shows how many turbines will be operating and the current flow in cubic feet per second (cfs). It takes approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours for water released from Buford Dam to begin rising at McGinnis Ferry.
River Flow Rates
Water conditions on the Chattahoochee River are also influenced by the weather upstream of McGinnis Ferry. Regardless of whether the water is coming from a dam release or inclement weather upstream check the discharge/flow rate at the gaging station 0.76 miles upstream of McGinnis Ferry, Suwanee, GA.
- If Canoeing, Kayaking, or Stand Up Paddleboarding and the flow rate is over 4,000 cfs, cancel your trip.
- If Rafting and the flow rate is over 5,000 cfs, cancel your trip.
- Float tubes are discouraged on this stretch of the river due to cold water temperatures.
Try These Floating Options
- Lower Pool Park to McGinnis Ferry: 8.3 miles
- Settles Bridge to McGinnis Ferry: 3.8 miles
- McGinnis Ferry to Rogers Bridge Park (Temporarily Closed): 2.9 miles
- McGinnis Ferry to Abbotts Bridge: 4.5 miles
- McGinnis Ferry to Medlock Bridge: 9 miles