With the nearest town 10 or more miles from the local community, the Mammoth Cave Baptist Church was used not only for religious purposes but also served as a place for social gatherings. The church was established in 1827 and served as the site of weddings, funerals, baptisms, town meetings and as a school for the youth. Even after Mammoth Cave became a national park in 1941, the church was still regularly used by the local community as a meeting place until the 1970’s. The church was built for the white residents of the community and is the only physical representative of the once thriving Mammoth Cave/Flint Ridge rural communities. There was also a Mammoth Cave Colored Baptist Church, but the location is unknown currently.
The current structure was constructed in 1927 after the original building was destroyed by a tornado. It is included on the National Register of Historic Places. Members of the congregation as well as descendants of the families from days gone by still use the church on occasion for weddings, funerals, or special services. Next to the church is the Mammoth Cave Baptist Church Cemetery where many of the Mammoth Cave/Flint Ridge residents are buried including Floyd Collins, a local resident and famous cave explorer from the 1920’s.