2001-2003 Central Ave., 10-12 E. Railroad St., Kearney, Nebraska
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, reference #: 14001012
OPEN TO PUBLIC:
The Lowe and Fair Commercial Block is significant under Criterion C: Architecture as an example of Italianate commercial architecture and workmanship. This commercial block was among the first brick or masonry buildings in the commercial district, and was constructed a mere eight years after Kearney's founding. Construction of a commercial block of this size and style is indicative of Kearney's early prosperity. Travelers arriving at the two railroad depots would have walked directly past this building to reach the commercial district. Its grand south façade would have also impressed those merely passing through by train. The period of significance extends from 1881, the construction date of the Lowe Building, until 1927 when a nearby fire necessitated façade repairs.