Last updated: October 17, 2018
- Glacier National Park
- Lake McDonald Lodge was a primary destination for visitors to the west side of Glacier National Park
- National Register of Historic Places
- OPEN TO PUBLIC:
Lake McDonald LodgeBuilt in 1913-14
Originally there was the Snyder Hotel, which John Lewis bought in 1896. During the winter of 1913-14, Lewis had a new 65-room hotel built on the site. Construction materials that could not be locally sourced had to be hauled from the depot in Belton then ferried nearly 10 miles up lake. The Lewis Hotel, decorated as a hunting lodge, was a community gathering point where artist Charlie Russell could sometimes be found telling stories in the lobby. In 1930, Lewis sold the property. New management changed the hotel's name to Lake McDonald Lodge.