The Innis House is not open to the public regularly.
In December, 1862, a small cluster of homes and businesses, occupied by four families, dotted the east side of the Sunken Road. Today, the Innis House is the only one of these structures left.
The Innis House was built between 1856 and 1861. In 1861, the property belonged to Martha Stephens, who resided in another structure 150 feet to the south, but John Innis, Martha’s son, and his wife, Ellen Innis, resided here. The first floor of the house has a small entrance room, a larger living room with a fireplace, and a small side room. The upstairs has two rooms, one with access to the chimney and a small fireplace.
During the Battle of Fredericksburg, the Innis House was directly in the crossfires of the two armies. By the end of the battle the house was greatly damaged, yet the structure was intact and the residents moved back in after the war. The Innis house remained private home for the next 100 years.
The National Park Service acquired the Innis House in 1969. Restoration of the house was completed in 1987. The house was restored to its 1862 appearance. During the restoration many bullet holes, shell holes, and bullets were found within and on the outside of the structure. Some of the bullet holes were revealed when the restoration team removed layers of old wallpaper. One count of the bullet holes comes to 52; they are on the inside and outside of the home.
Last updated: December 5, 2021