Last updated: January 4, 2021
Historic Hacienda de la Canoa
Historical/Interpretive Information/Exhibits, Information, Trailhead
La Canoa (the "watering trough") was the first campsite after the Anza expedition left its final assembly point at Tubac Presidio. It is refered to as Campsite #15 on the expedition. Here on the evening of October 23rd, 1775, José Antonio Capistrano Féliz was born feet first and sadly his mother, María Ignacia Manuela Piñuelas Féliz, died the next morning.
Historic Hacienda de la Canoa is located on the Raúl M. Grijalva Canoa Ranch Conservation Park and includes an exhibit about the Anza Expedition and an NPS Anza Trail Passport Stamp (Anza NHT passport stamp #5 - find a list of passport stamp locations here).
The Raúl M. Grijalva Canoa Ranch Conservation Park comprises 4,800 acres of the original San Ignacio de la Canoa Grant. Historic Canoa Ranch is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.