After the territorial boundary between the US and Spain was fixed at the Sabine River by the Florida Purchase Treaty of 1819, the United States built Fort Jesup in 1822. Lieutenant Colonel Zachary Taylor, who first established and commanded the garrison, managed to establish law and order in what had long been neutral ground between the two countries.
Fort Jesup remained an important military post for nearly 25 years. The fort witnessed the migration of US settlers into Texas, the winning of Texas independence, and the annexation of Texas as a US state in 1845. Fort Jesup, no longer needed as a border outpost, was abandoned in 1846.
Location (32 Geoghagan Road (six miles northeast of Many, just south of State Highway 6))