Ebey's Reserve - the Alexander Blockhouse

Old log building used as a fortress behind shrubbery.
The Alexander Blockhouse located at the Island County Museum in downtown Coupeville.

photo courtesy of the Trust Board of Ebey's Landing NHR

Quick Facts
Downtown Coupeville
Island County & Ebey's Reserve History

Benches/Seating, Bicycle - Rack, Boat Ramp, Gifts/Souvenirs/Books, Historical/Interpretive Information/Exhibits, Information, Information - Maps Available, Information - Park Newspaper Available, Information Kiosk/Bulletin Board, Parking - Auto, Picnic Table, Restroom - Accessible, Scenic View/Photo Spot, Wheelchair Accessible

Originally home to eleven blockhouses scattered throughout the Ebey’s Reserve, only four remain: the Crockett Blockhouse on Ft. Casey Road; the Ebey Blockhouse next to the Jacob & Sarah Ebey House; the Davis Blockhouse located in Sunnyside Cemetery; and, the Alexander Blockhouse in downtown Coupeville alongside the Island County Museum.

These territorial structures were built during the mid-1850’s, and were used primarily as a small fortification for white settlers. With the decline of any perceived threat from Native Americans, the use of these structures shifted to storage and outbuildings used for farming. Winfield Scott Ebey (brother of Isaac Ebey) used the Ebey Blockhouse as a law office.

The Alexander Blockhouse, which is open to the public, sits on what was originally the Donation Land Claim of John Alexander along the shores of Penn Cove.  Originally, this land was the site of a Lower Skagit Village called “ bac̓ádzale ” in the Lushootseed language.

Ebey's Landing National Historical Reserve

Last updated: December 21, 2021