Last updated: November 10, 2020
Eagle Lake Bridge (1927) was the ninth of 17 bridges constructed along 57 miles of carriage road on Mount Desert Island between 1917 and 1940. It carries Route 233 over the Hulls Cove carriage road. Its completion made possible the construction of new carriage roads on lands north of Eagle Lake, where John D. Rockefeller, Jr. planned magnificent views of Frenchman Bay.
The 118-foot long Gothic-arch bridge is constructed of reinforced concrete clad with quarry-faced, random-coursed ashlar granite. The 30-foot wide arch is outlined with slender radiating voussoirs and flanked by angled lookouts, and the parapet walls have regular openings below the stone coping.
In 1974, the bridge had to be widened to accommodate traffic.