Last updated: November 17, 2018
- West Branch, Iowa
- Part of Herbert Hoover National Historic Site
- OPEN TO PUBLIC:
In 1870, real-estate developer J.M. Wetherell sold three lots to E.S. Hayhurst. Hayhurst built his house here in 1872. Unfortunately, Hayhurst and his family were only able to call this place home for less than a decade. When they couldn't make the payments, the mortgage was foreclosed and the family left town in 1878. Ever the businessman, Wetherell repossessed the lots and turned the house into a rental property.