Last updated: October 20, 2020
Cliffside Bridge (1932) is one of 17 bridges constructed along 57 miles of carriage road on Mount Desert Island between 1917 and 1940. It carries Amphitheater Road (Asticou-Jordan Pond Road) over a ravine on the flank of Jordan Mountain along a road between Amphitheater and West Branch bridges.
The asymmetrical structure extends 250 feet, with a 50-foot segmented arch, and crenellated parapet walls. To enhance its harmonious effect, the bridge appears to be built out of the natural rock ledge. The character of the stone work marks a return to a more rustic appearance with quarry-faced, random-laid, granite ashlar.