Last updated: January 23, 2021
Built in 1903, and intended as a hotel, the building housed retail services in the ground floor and the twenty bed Wise Sanitarium on the top floor. The Wise brothers used this location until the 1920s when they moved to the newly completed hospital, located on Hospital street, behind Plains High School. In 1934, Earl Carter owned and operated a peanut business and the Earl Carter Insurance Agency from this location. Earl Carter ran this business until his death in 1953. Jimmy Carter returned home from the Navy to run the peanut warehouse from this location until 1961.