Last updated: November 17, 2018
- West Branch, Iowa
- Part of Herbert Hoover National Historic Site
- OPEN TO PUBLIC:
The house on the former site of West Branch's Methodist Church is known as the C.E. Smith House. Charles E. Smith was a carpenter and a Civil War veteran. In 1903, he completed his dream home for himself and his wife, Deborah atop Cooks Hill where each spring, he would tap his maple trees to make maple syrup. Although this home was built eighteen years after Herbert Hoover left West Branch, the National Park Service relocate it near President Hoover's birthplace in 1969.