Lewis and Clark NHT Visitor Centers and Museums
Visitor Centers and Museums along the Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail
Tongue Point, visible near the end of the trail near the lagoons, is significant to the Lewis & Clark Expedition. The men camped here on March 23, 1806, after wintering at Fort Clatsop. An interpretive panel is installed on the Astoria Riverwalk that commemorates their stay. A bench commemorating Keith Hay, author of The Lewis & Clark Columbia River Water Trail guidebook, is situated next to the panel. Additional interpretive exhibits can be found along the trail, providing historical information.
The trailhead can be accessed from Lagoon Road. The gravel parking lot is well-marked, and the trail itself is wheelchair accessible, being either paved with asphalt or comprised of a wooden boardwalk, depending on the section one happens to be on. Those who don’t want to make the return trip on foot can catch the Astoria Trolley at the East Mooring Basin back to the trailhead for a small $1 per person fare.
For more information on the trail, visit TrailLink’s website at Astoria Riverwalk. For information on what Astoria has to offer, visit the city's website at Astoria Oregon.