Last updated: March 31, 2021
Agate Bridge is located 18 miles from the north entrance of the park, ten miles from the south entrance.
Historically, Agate Bridge was one of the most popular sites in the park.
Historical/Interpretive Information/Exhibits, Parking - Auto, Scenic View/Photo Spot
Agate Bridge, original called Natural Bridge, is a partially exposed petrified log spanning a gully at Agate Mesa, forming a “bridge”. This landmark has long been one of the most popular attractions in Petrified Forest since the beginning and in the early history of the park many visitors had their picture taken while standing on the “bridge”. Fear of the collapse of this landmark by the railroad—it was a major attraction—led to masonry pillars being constructed underneath is April of 1903, later followed by concrete in 1911. These were replaced by concrete beam in 1917 at the cost of $1700, paid for by the government and installed by the railroad. The log is about 100’ in length and 4’ in diameter at its base. It spans 40’ across the chasm and is 16’ above the canyon floor. In the late 1800s the paleobotanist Lester Ward proclaimed Agate Bridge to be the “most noted single petrified log in the world.”