The Abbotts Bridge Launch provides access to the river for power boats, canoes, kayaks, rafts, and tubes. During the summer this launch can be very crowded with tubers coming off the river and trailered boats. Please be considerate of other users by moving your equipment off the launch area as soon as possible.
Be sure to check the Current Estimated E. coli count before starting your trip. If the count at Medlock Bridge is greater than 235 you have an increased risk of getting sick. Contact with the river is NOT recommended.
Water Release Schedule
Water conditions on the Chattahoochee River are influenced on a daily basis by water releases from Buford Dam. The water release schedule can be obtained by calling (770) 945-1466, or toll free 1-855-DAM-FLOW (1-855-326-3569), or visit their Hydropower Generating Schedule website. Besides showing the time for scheduled releases it also shows how many turbines will be operating and the current flow in cubic feet per second (cfs). It takes approximately 3 hours and 15 minutes to 4 hours and 30 minutes for water released from Buford Dam to begin rising at Abbotts Bridge.
River Flow Rates
Water conditions on the Chattahoochee River are also influenced by the weather upstream of Abbotts Bridge. Regardless of whether the water is coming from a dam release or inclement weather upstream check the discharge/flow rate at the gaging station 0.76 miles upstream of McGinnis Ferry, Suwanee, GA.
- If Canoeing, Kayaking, or Stand Up Paddleboarding and the flow rate is over 4,000 cfs, cancel your trip.
- If Rafting and the flow rate is over 5,000 cfs, cancel your trip.
- If Tubing and the flow is over 2,500 cfs, cancel your trip.
Try These Floating Options
- Lower Pool Park to Abbotts Bridge: 12.8 miles
- Settles Bridge (no trailer access) to Abbotts Bridge: 8.63 miles
- McGinnis Ferry to Abbotts Bridge: 4.5 miles
- Rogers Bridge Park (Temporarily Closed) to Abbotts Bridge: 2.6 miles
- Abbotts Bridge to Medlock Bridge: 4.5 miles
- Abbotts Bridge to Jones Bridge Canoe & Raft (no trailer access): 6.6 miles
- Abbotts Bridge to Jones Bridge Boat: 6.9 miles
- Abbotts Bridge to Garrard Landing Park (no trailer access): 9.9 miles