Last updated: May 16, 2023
Construction of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal and the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad produced an influx of Irish laborers into the Harpers Ferry area during the early 1830s. St. Peter's Catholic Church, completed in 1833, symbolizes America's melting pot tradition and the customs, habits, and religion of the early Irish immigrants.
During the Civil War, to protect the church from Union and Confederate shells, Father Costello flew the British Union Jack flag as a symbol of the church's neutrality. St. Peter's escaped the war relatively unscathed.
St. Peter's was remodeled to its present appearance in 1896, and Mass is offered here every Sunday.
Photo Caption: From Shenandoah Street in 1865
Photo Caption: Looking north from Loudoun Heights, circa 1894