Place

Pilgerruh Panel

Graphic panel with two illustrations—of a village and of a massacre—and a painting of red-headed man
Somewhere near this panel, Christian Lenape and Moravian missionaries overwintered fleeing violence.

NPS / Arrye Rosser

Quick Facts

Audio Description, Historical/Interpretive Information/Exhibits, Wheelchair Accessible

Shortly after the American Revolution, 95 Christian Lenape and six Moravian-German missionaries built a temporary village near the mouth of Tinkers Creek. Despite a good description from a diary, the exact location of Pilgerruh, or Pilgrim’s Rest, is unknown. The group was hungry and terrified, displaced during the years following the Gnaddenhutten massacre. As pacifists, they were distrusted by the British, the Americans, and other American Indian groups. They took refuge in Cuyahoga Valley for ten months in 1786-1787, overwintering and raising crops before moving on.

The community found a permanent home along the Thames River in southern Ontario in 1792. Their descendants are among the Delaware Nation of Moraviantown.