Where Constitution Avenue now runs, the Chesapeake and Ohio and Washington City Canals ran between 1832 and the 1870s. The lockkeeper was responsible for opening and closing the lock at the end of the C&O Canal and for collecting tolls. The Lockkeeper's House was moved and converted to a visitor information station in 2018.
Lock Keeper's House
Formerly the Eastern Terminal of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal
Erected about 1835
The canal passed along the present line of B Street in front of this house emptying into Tiber Creek and the Potomac River
Office of Public Buildings and Public Parks
July 4, 1928