In 1804, rope-maker Richard Parrott purchased his Washington, DC, property and developed his estate. Before long, he added a "Ropewalk" for manufacturing rope, a Federal-style mansion, and gardens and orchards. The property was purchased by the United States Government in 1911 for the creation of a public park. Landscape architects George Burnap and Horace Peaslee prepared designs for the park that integrated features from the former estate's landscape and incorporated new elements for public park use.
Last updated: October 23, 2020