Godey Lime Kilns

Old stone ruins
Godey Lime Kilns

Quick Facts

Historical/Interpretive Information/Exhibits

Look across the roadway for the remains of the lime kilns. From 1864 to 1907, this facility was used to heat and break down limestone into lime and plaster for construction. By the early 20th century, the invention of Portland cement made the kiln obsolete. This is an exceptionally difficult place to visit on foot, and it is not recommended to attempt to cross the roadway.


The text below reads:
These Kilns were used as late as 1908, supplying Washington with a fine grade of lime. The limestone was brought from quarries just beyond Seneca, Maryland over the C&O Canal.
United States Department of the Interior
National Park Service

Rock Creek Park

Last updated: February 7, 2021