Last updated: July 20, 2026
Place
Frisco Train Depot
NPS Photo
Constructed in 1903, St. Louis and San Francisco Railway Fort Smith Depot (Frisco Train Depot) served as a passenger and freight depot for the St. Louis-San Francisco Railway Company. It continued to function as a passenger and freight depot until the 1960s.
The Frisco Train Depot is a Classical Revival structure of ashlar limestone, quarried and transported from Missouri. The porch roofs at the east, south, and west elevations consist of heavily-bracketed roofs of mission style red clay tiles. When constructed the building featured a north facade portico with a two-story colonnade in front. The ten ornate columns, standard of the Classical Revival style, gave way to a grand entrance for white passengers. This feature was removed and replaced by a contemporary wood portico. The side entrance was for a separated class of people labeled as “colored”. With legislated segregation in public places, Fort Smith was no different than much of the United States. In addition to being segregated, "colored" accommodations were inferior with fewer amenities.
The building is closed to the public.