The army built the morgue in 1910 and the building remained intact through the time of the modern prison. However, it never saw much use. During the prison years the morgue was used just once, to store a deceased prisoner overnight until a ferry could take the body to the mainland the following morning. The Bureau of Prisons converted the morgue to house a spare back up generator, which can still be seen inside.
Last updated: January 28, 2021