Last updated: March 9, 2021
Historical/Interpretive Information/Exhibits, Scenic View/Photo Spot
The original Alcatraz lighthouse, constructed in 1854, was the first lighthouse built on the US West Coast. The lighthouse served as a navigational aid for over 50 years. The cottage-style lighthouse building was replaced by the taller 95 foot structure in 1909 because it was no longer tall enough to shine over the new cellhouse. In 1963, when the penitentiary closed, the lighthouse became automated and a modern beacon was added.