Last updated: May 22, 2023
Monument erected by the 25th New York Cavalry who served in the Defenses of Washington during the Battle of Fort Stevens. The 25th New York Cavalry was one of the first units sent to reinforce the Defenses of Washington during the rebel raid on the capital. The dismounted cavalrymen arrived on the evening of July 10, 1864 and helped reinforce the skirmish line the following afternoon as the rebel army advanced toward Fort Stevens and Washington D.C. The monument was dedicated in 1914, the last regimental marker at the cemetery.
Dedicated: September 18, 1914
Sculptor: McGibbon & Curry
Memorial DescriptionA granite statue of a soldier holding a saber in one hand and a scabbard in the other.
Sacred to the Memory of our Comrades Who Gave Their Lives in Defense of the National Capitol
July 11, 1864
Erected by the State of New York in Honor of the 25th N.Y. Vol. Cav.