Philetus W. Norris was the second superintendent of Yellowstone National Park from 1877–1882. He recorded the hydrothermal features in detail of the area that today is known as Norris Geyser Basin. His extensive exploration added immensely to the geographic knowledge of the park.
Norris also oversaw construction of some of the park’s first roads, parts of which still remain as the Grand Loop Road.
Norris hired the park’s first “gamekeeper” and campaigned for legislation to help adequately protect Yellowstone against the ravages of poachers and vandals.