Survey of Historic Sites and Buildings
Chimney Point is a promontory in Lake Champlain, where Samuel de Champlain reportedly stood in 1609, after a battle with the Iroquois Indians on the western shore of the lake, and gave his name to the beautiful inland sea stretching before him. The battle marked the beginning of continued hostilities between the Iroquois and the French. In 1690, a French expedition under Jacobus de Warm built a small, temporary fort at the site, but the first important settlement was made in 1730 by some French colonists, who renovated the fort and renamed it Fort de Pieux.
The settlement that grew up around the fort became one of the most important of the French in the New World. In 1759, its inhabitants abandoned it because of a threatened Indian invasion, and in 1760 raiding Mohawks destroyed it completely. The grim picture of chimneys rising from blackened ruins gave the point its name. Many cellar holes of the ancient French town are still visible. Chimney Point was privately owned until it was purchased by the State of Vermont, Division for Historic Preservation in 1969.
Fort Ste. Anne was the oldest European settlement in Vermont. In 1666, a group of French soldiers, led by Capt. Pierre de la Motte, built it for protection against the Mohawks. Settlers located around the fort, and the Jesuits built a chapel nearby, where the first mass in Vermont was held. The settlement proved to be a temporary one, and no remains exist. The site is outlined by cedars and spaced rock mounds.
Last Updated: 22-Mar-2005