Permits & Reservations

Providing opportunities for appropriate public enjoyment is an important part of the National Park Service mission. The Overmountain Victory National Historic Trail is not only a significant historical trail, but also holds beautiful natural landscapes which are ideal venues for a variety of special activities. In order to coordinate special park/trail use events, and ensure the preservation of the trail's history and resources for the enjoyment of all visitors, most special events and activities held in National Park Service sites along the Trail require a special use permit, issued only after the National Park Service (NPS) determines, from the applicant's information, that the activities involved will not impair park values and resources.

Who needs a special use permit?

A special use permit is required for activities that provide a benefit to an individual, group, or organization rather than the public at large, that require some degree of management from the National Park Service to protect park resources and the public interest, and is not initiated, sponsored, or conducted by the National Park Service. These special use permits must be obtained in advance and may require payment of a fee. Fee payment must be in the form of cash, cashier’s check, personal check, or money order made out to the "National Park Service". Some examples of events that require Special Use Permits are:

  • Commercial still photography: Learn about guidelines and requirements.
  • Commercial tours: Commercial tours are allowed via a Commercial Use Authorization (CUA). The term of a CUA may be implemented for a period of time not exceed 2 years. A new CUA application must be submitted upon expiration of an existing authorization; preferential right of renewal or similar provisions for renewal are not provided.
  • First Amendment Activities: Political events, public assemblies, demonstrations, the distribution of literature, and other similar activities.
  • Weddings and Special Events: Plan your special day in the park.
  • Scientific research: Research and collection activities within the Overmounting Victory National Historic Trail are managed to prevent damage to the resources, to coordinate research activities, and to assist in the application of science to the management of the park.

General Permits

Special events, first amendment activities, and any potential ground-disturbing activities in the park require the issuance of a special use permit.

To Apply

Fill out the application and email it to with subject line OVVI Permit Application, or mail it with payment to:

Special Use Permits
Kings Mountain National Military Park
2625 Park Road
Blacksburg, SC 29702

or email it to
For more information about special use permits, call 864-936-7921 x8.

COVID-19 Permit Application Requirement:
Permittee shall provide a COVID-19 safety plan with their permit application. Plan shall include mitigation and protective measures that will be put in place to protect the visiting public, park staff, permittee, and those attending the event, activity, or program which meets the guidelines and regulations put forth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and State/local public health officials.

Last updated: April 9, 2021

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

338 New Pleasant Road
Gaffney , SC 29341


864 461-2828

Contact Us

Stay Connected