The National Trails office administers the Route 66 Corridor Preservation Program and nine of the 19 national historic trails within the National Trails System. We provide leadership for these nine national historic trails and set best practice standards for all partners involved with administration and on-the-ground management of trails and trail resources.
We help people across the country connect with sacred trail stories important to America’s heritage.
When called upon to help partners with a trail or route site, we:
- Provide free interdisciplinary expert services (technical assistance)
- Guide projects from start to completion
- Promote and demonstrate best practices in trail administration, preservation, interpretation, planning, and development
- Help partners build their capacity to conduct trail projects
- Conduct feasibility studies for potential new national historic trails at the bequest of Congress
- Teach and enable partners to share trail, route, and NPS messages with the general public
Last updated: January 10, 2020