National NuGrape Company
National Register photograph by Yen Tang
The NuGrape Company of America began in Atlanta in 1921 as a soft
drink company. It was an innovator in the 1920s by bottling its
own drinks, now a standard in the beverage industry. The National
NuGrape Company building, built in 1937, served as the national
headquarters for more than 600 bottlers of NuGrape around the country
and housed the advertising office and home laboratory for the company.
The syrup was also made here and stored in 50-gallon oak barrels.
The National NuGrape Company building is a three-story, wood-framed
Stripped Classical style industrial edifice. With its brick pilasters
and simple cornices, this building incorporates understated classical
detailing on an otherwise unadorned facade. This style represents
a transition between classically influenced architecture, with pediments
and pilasters, and modern architecture, which is characterized by
plain wall surfaces and little or understated stylistic detailing.
The exterior features a flat roof, stone cornice cap, blond brick
on the front and west facades, red brick on the rear and east facades,
steel-framed tilt factory windows with multiple lights, and brick
pilasters with stone caps. The west facade has similar detailing as
the front. The east facade has single-door entrances on each level
to provide emergency exits by metal stairs. The bridge connecting
the building to the rail spur is on the third level. Originally, the
floor plan consisted of a first floor lobby, offices on the first
and second floors and two large open spaces each on the first and
third floors. The interior has been altered to consist of a first
floor lobby and a lengthwise central hall on all floors with loft-style
Advertisement for NuGrape Soda
Courtesy of SodaTraderZ.com
The National Nugrape Company used the building from 1937 to 1971 when it was sold to Ryco Printing Company. After Ryco left the building in 1990, it was converted into apartments.
The National NuGrape Company building, 794 Ralph McGill Blvd.,
contains private residences and is not open to the public.