The Inman Park--Moreland Historic District is comprised primarily
of residential buildings that date from the late 19th and early 20th
centuries. It also includes two historic schools, two historic churches
and several commercial buildings. Architectural styles within the
district include Colonial Revival, Beaux Arts, American Foursquare,
Bungalow/Craftsmen, and Commercial. Most buildings are one- or two-story
residences, constructed of wood or masonry, with low overhanging roofs,
front gables, dormer windows, and front porches. Noted Atlanta architect
Willis Franklin Denny (1874-1905) designed several of the buildings
including the Kriegshaber House, located at 292 Moreland Avenue, listed
individually in the National Register of Historic Places.
Typical houses of the Inman Park--Moreland Historic District
NPS photograph by Jody Cook
The district also stands as testimony to the incrementally developed
Atlanta suburb. This type of suburban development, comprised of several
related subdivisions, is characteristic of much of Atlanta's early
20th-century suburban growth. It contrasts with the contemporaneously
planned suburbs like Ansley Park, Druid
Hills, and the adjacent Inman Park. This
district got its name from its association with Major Asbury F. Moreland,
a primary property owner in the district in the late 19th century.
His property, known as "Moreland Park," was subdivided in the early
1900s. In addition, the Copenhill Land Company developed a subdivision
between 1895 and 1920, in the area around Copen Hill, the most elevated
rise of ground in the district.
More typical houses of the Inman
Park--Moreland Historic District
NPS photograph by Jody Cook
The Inman Park--Moreland Historic District also includes the shopping
area known as "Little Five Points," which was officially designated
in the early 1920s as a commercial area by the City of Atlanta.
The commercial buildings, most of which share a common party wall
and have storefront windows and tile roofs, are located on Euclid
and Moreland avenues at the Little Five Points intersection and
on North Highland Avenue near Colquitt Avenue. As the population
grew in east Atlanta in the area where the trolley lines converged,
Little Five Points became one of the earliest major regional shopping
centers. The southern part of the district along Moreland, Austin,
Alta, and Euclid avenues is the site of the former Moreland Park,
a popular resort in the 1880s and 1890s.
The Inman Park--Moreland Historic District is bordered on the
north and northwest around Seminole, Cleburne, and North Highway
aves. The houses in the district are private residences and are
not open to the public, but the commercial shops are open to the
public during normal business hours. Visit the Inman
Park website for further information on the neighborhood.
Directly west of Albion Ave. is the Jimmy
Carter Library and Museum.