National Park Service
Program Logo A man paddles a kayak through a shady stream

Eightmile River, CT

Farmington River, CT

Great Egg Harbor, NJ

Lamprey River, NH

Lower Delaware River, NJ/PA

Maurice River, NJ

Musconetcong River, NJ

Sudbury, Assabet & Concord Rivers, MA

Taunton River, MA

White Clay Creek, DE/PA

Wekiva River, FL

Westfield River, MA

STUDY rivers

More on Wild & Scenic Rivers


The Eight Mile Wild & Scenic River


Designated: May 8, 2008

Location: The Eightmile River flows through a 62 square-mile rural and pristine watershed in the towns of Salem, East Haddam and Lyme, Connecticut.  The Eightmile joins the Connecticut River at Hamburg Cove, just eight miles upriver from the Long Island Sound.  25.3 miles of the Eightmile River and significant tributaries are designated as Wild & Scenic. 

Outstanding Resources: Watershed hydrology, water quality, geology, unique species and natural communities, watershed ecosystem, and the cultural landscape.

Management Approach: A partnership between the Eightmile River Wild & Scenic Coordinating Committee and the National Park Service is charged with implementing the Eightmile River Watershed Management Plan.  The locally led Coordinating Committee is comprised of members appointed by local municipalities and land trusts as well as members from The Nature Conservancy, the Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection and the National Park Service.

Overview: With over 150 miles of pristine rivers and streams and 62 square miles of relatively undeveloped rural land, the Eightmile River Watershed is an exceptional natural and cultural resource. The watershed contains large areas of unfragmented habitat, an array of rare and diverse wildlife, scenic vistas, high water quality, unimpeded stream flow, and significant cultural features. Most notable is that the overall Eightmile River Watershed ecosystem is healthy and intact throughout virtually all of its range.

The landscape of the watershed is characterized as one of low rolling hills and ridges separated by numerous small, narrow drainage corridors and hollows, and in places broader valleys and basins. Approximately 90% of the watershed lies in roughly equal portions within the three communities of East Haddam, Lyme and Salem, with the remaining 10% evenly split within Colchester and East Lyme.

With over 83% of the watershed in forest, wetland or water, the Eightmile hosts a rich diversity of natural communities and rare and significant plant and animal species. Comprised primarily oak-hickory and maple-ash vegetative communities, the forests of the Eightmile provide resource requirements for a multitude of significant bird, mammal and insect species.

The Eightmile River Watershed Management Plan was created as a part of the Eightmile River Wild & Scenic Study to establish recommended tools and strategies for ensuring the watershed ecosystem is protected and enhanced for generations to come. The Eightmile River Watershed Management Plan is a non-regulatory document, reflecting a partnership where local, state and federal interests all voluntarily agree to participate in its implementation and the realization of its purpose and goals.

Map of the Eight-mile river. Designated river is highlighted in yellow.
Contact Information:

Eightmile Wild & Scenic Coordinating Committee
PO Box 70
1066 Saybrook Rd
Haddam, CT 06438


Related Links:

Eightmile River Wild & Scenic Watershed

Challenge Cost Share Program | Federal Lands to Parks | Hydropower Relicensing Program
Land and Water Conservation Fund | Conservation and Outdoor Recreation | National Trails System
Partnership Wild and Scenic Rivers | Rivers and Trails Program | Urban Park and Recreation Recovery
Webmaster Last Modified 4-17-09 U.S. Department of the Interior FOIA Privacy Disclaimer

U.S. Department of the Interior National Park Service National Park Service