Skip to global NPS navigation
Skip to main content
Skip to footer
National Park Service Logo
National Park Service
Return to The Civil War
Thomas House Roof Project
5) Thomas House Stepped Counterflashing
New stepped counterflashing is installed during Thomas House slate roof replacement
4) Thomas House Chimney Flashing
New chimney flashing was installed during re-roofing to protect one of several historic chimneys on the Thomas House.
3) Thomas House Roof Underlayment
Roof underlayment is put on roof to insure a good weather-tight seal prior to installation of slates.
1) Thomas House Roof Sheathing
Once old slates are removed from the Thomas House roof, the sheathing is examined and replaced where necessary.
6) Thomas House Slates Installed
The slates are then installed on the Thomas House after sheathing repairs and underlayment are completed.
2) Thomas House Roof Valleys Repaired
The Thomas House roof valleys are examined and repaired, then new flashing will be installed.