The Best Secondary House is a small, two-story stone and log dwelling. It was likely constructed sometime in the late eighteenth century, and achieved its present exterior appearance by 1798 when the farm, known as L'Hermitage, was owned by Victoire Vincendière.
In 2005, Monocacy National Battlefield undertook exterior stabilization and preservation of the Best Secondary House. The building was last inhabited in the 1960s, and had since been used to house chickens and other livestock while the farm was in private ownership. As a result, the building was in a state of extreme disrepair when the National Park Service acquired it in 1993, and its deterioration was continuing as a result of weathering and structural instability.