An intriguing artifact - an inscribed canteen spout - was recovered during an archeological survey of the Best Farm. The spout is made from a white metal, most likely pewter, and measures one inch in length and one inch in diameter. It probably belonged to a Model 1858 Federal smoothside or concentric ring canteen of the type issued to Union soldiers throughout the Civil War. Inscribed "LT. HART. 128.," the canteen spout (pictured above) was found in proximity to other military items including a New York State militia button. Subsequent research has revealed much about the soldier to whom the canteen probably belonged.
The 128th New York Infantry was sent to the Department of the Gulf in December, 1862 where they remained until July, 1864. They were then sent back to Maryland, and sometime between August 5th and 7th, the 128th New York camped at Monocacy Junction.