Lock and Dam No. 2
Visitors to Lock and Dam 2 can visit the viewing platform and watch barge and pleasure craft lock through. Bald eagles and turkey vultures are often seen soaring along the bluffs and bald eagles will often fish around the dam.
The construction of Lock and Dam No. 2 began on October 16, 1928 and finished on November 30, 1930. Reconstruction of the lock took place in 1948 and then again from 1987-1995.
There is a public observation deck available for landbound visitors. Boating resources include the Metro Area Rivers Guide. The Army Corps of Engineers provides navigation charts which may be obtained online either through download or by purchasing a hard copy. The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources booklet, Boating on the Big River, provides lots of good information on staying safe, the process on locking through dams, and how to have fun on this national treasure.
Hours, Directions, and Contact Information
Last updated: July 2, 2018