Upper Post: Today

 
A family walking along a trail at the Upper Post.

Changing Roles

After being decommissioned by the U.S. Army in 1946, Fort Snelling was handed over to the Veteran's Administration and has served a variety of uses since. Now the buildings stand empty. Most have been boarded up and repaired just enough to help them survive until new uses are found. The Department of Natural Resources and Hennepin County have played a crucial role in preserving the Upper Post and are actively engaged with the National Park Service and others to save this nationally-significant site. The Boy Scouts of America have acquired the Cavalry Parade Building (201) and have restored the building as a major Base Camp. The Air National Guard Foundation is planning to build a new museum the northwest corner of the Upper Post and two education buildings along a restored Leavenworth Ave. Plans are also in place to renovate two Officer's Row houses and the Bachelor Officer's Quarters.

Last updated: July 13, 2017

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

111 E. Kellogg Blvd., Suite 105
Saint Paul, MN 55101

Phone:

(651) 293-0200
This is the general phone line at the Visitor Center, which is staffed every day except Mondays. Please leave a voicemail if we miss your call and expect a return call within 1 day, often sooner.

Contact Us