"The house stands within 10 or 15 yards of the Old Boston road (along which the British marched and retreated)..." Nathaniel Hawthorne, 1852
The dwelling cited in the 1717 deed was a typical New England farmhouse, two storied, made of wood with two rooms per floor and a central chimney. However, the house dates back much earlier, according to National Park Service historical architects, who worked on its restoration in the 1960s. Minute man Samuel Whitney was living in this house, which still retained most of its original appearance, on April 19, 1775 when British troops passed by on their way to search the town and Barrett's Farm, and the confrontation at Concord's North Bridge.
Last updated: May 24, 2016