Stephen T. Mather, first director of the U.S. National Park Service, dedicated the Yosemite Rangers’ Club on September 26, 1920. At seventeen seconds into this clip (00:17), Mather stands at left on the south terrace of the Rangers’ Club. Other notable figures present in this footage include Yosemite’s first chief ranger, Forrest Townsley, its first chief naturalist, Ansel Hall, and the vice president of the Southern Pacific Railway, Ernest O. McCormick. Now a National Historic Landmark, the Rangers' Club represents the first example of National Park Service Rustic Style architecture.
Preservation of this historic film was made possible through a 2013 grant from the National Film Preservation Foundation.
(Yosemite National Park Archives: Historic Film Collection, YOSE-049704.)
Note: There is no audio.
Copyright and Usage Info