Tour Description In 1897 Ben and Minnie Moore built a new one-and-a-half story wood frame house directly in front of their original one-room log cabin. They enlarged the house several times over the years. By 1904, the house had evolved to an 1,100 square foot home. The exterior includes light blue painted wood siding with painted grass-green trim. Two brick chimneys rise from both sides of the house. The interior today is a mix of exhibit displays and historic furnishings. This tour explores the four main rooms in the house.
Front Lobby - size 15 by 13 feet Just passed a small vestibule entryway is a open lobby. The floor, walls, and ceiling are all honey stained wood planks. On three walls are introductory exhibit panels and small object display case. To the immediate right are two exterior windows. The room includes three doors with access to the other three main rooms in the house. All the rooms in the house have dark stained doors and decorative 4-inch wood trim.
Parlor - size 15 by 14 feet The parlor is immediately left of the lobby. The wall separating the two spaces was once an exterior wall. An original exterior window between the two spaces still remains. Upon entering you see a historically decorated parlor. The furnished area is closed off to visitors by glass wood framed railing. A visitor path follows the interior wall. The floor is carpeted with a gold and cream floral pattern. Walls and ceiling are wood paneled and painted a light pink. The furnished area includes a small day chaise or sofa covered in animal furs, and four small tables with various objects including flower filled vases and homemade crafts. Walls include framed photos, plates, a child size doll, a three-foot carved canoe, and full-size taxidermied eagle. Windows are covered in lace curtains. On the wall along the pathway and on the railing are two exhibit panels.
Bedroom - size 14 by 14 feet A bedroom is in the back left corner of the house accessed through the parlor or the back hallway. The room is divided in half by a wood and glass railing. The floor is wood with a large a large blue and white floral pattern rug. Walls and ceiling are covered with a bold cream and gold floral crest wallpaper with dark accents. The area behind the railing is furnished with a wood roll top desk, wash basin and an armoire. On the walls are framed photographs, animal furs, and moccasins. An exhibit panel is mounted on the railing.
Kitchen, (Exhibit Room) - size 15 by 14 feet From the back corner bedroom, travel down a fourteen foot hallway, through the back entrances of the lobby and into the kitchen on the left. The room is in the front right corner of the house and has been cleared of all original furnishings except for a walled off chimney stack on the back wall. A piano sits in the front right corner. The remaining space is filled with three exhibit displays. The floor is carpeted with a blue and white checkered diamond pattern. The walls and ceiling are wood paneled with grass green wainscotting around the entire room. At the back corner, a door gives access to rear storage room and the rear entrance to the house.
Storage Room and Second Story A 14 by 14 foot storage room, not accessible to visitors, houses living history costumes and shelving. Access to the stairwell and the second story is in this room. The stairs are very narrow and steep. The unrestored second story is only above the 15 by 13 foot lobby. It would be considered a bonus room today. The walls are wallpapered with wood plank flooring.