Canal Exploration Center
The building known as the Canal Exploration Center has stood at Lock 38 for over 150 years. It has been a tavern, a store, a residence, a boardinghouse, and even housed a blacksmith shop at one time! It most recently was a park visitor center. Moses Gleeson purchased the structure about 1837, hoping to capitalize on the Ohio & Erie Canal traffic. By 1852 he expanded the building to resemble its current facade to serve the increasing traffic on the canal.