Lowell Canal System Development: 1796 - 1848
1796 - Pawtucket Canal is constructed to provide transportation of goods around Pawtucket Falls on the Merrimack River.
1823 - Merrimack Canal, Guard Locks, Swamp Locks, and Lower Locks constructed to provide control and power to Merrimack Mills.
1828 - Hamilton Canal and Lowell Canal constructed providing power to Hamilton-Appleton Mill and Lowell Manufacturing Company.
1836 - Western and Eastern Canal constructed providing power to Lawrence Mills (Western Canal) and Boott Mills (Eastern Canal).
1848 - Pawtucket Gatehouse, Northern Canal and Moody Street Feeder (underground canal) are constructed completing construction and providing additional power to the Mills.