Skip to global NPS navigation
Skip to main content
Skip to footer
National Park Service Logo
National Park Service
Return to The Civil War
Adolphus Samuel Noon
Credit: NPS Photo
Adolphus Samuel Noon was a Nogales civil engineer blacksmith and building contractor was the first person to do actual preservation work on the church.
A.S.Noon on the dome of Tumacácori Mission Church
Noon stands on the dome of the Tumacácori mission church during some of the first preservation work that was done.
Building a roof on the old mission ruin
To prevent further deterioration of the roofless mission ruins a new roof was added to the church in 1921.
Superintendent Frank Pinkley
Southwest Parks and Monuments Superintendent
The first custodian lived in the convento
George Boundey was the first resident custodian at Tumacácori and lived in the remains of the old mission convento.
The entrance to the church required stabalization
The facade and entrance to the church required extensive stabalization to preserve it.
Remaining arch that supported the choir loft
Although the arch that supported the choir loft still remained after the earthquake of 1887 and was still there as late as 1910 it collapsed before preservation work was begun.
Remains of the mission church and compound
Some of what remained of the church and compound prior to 1900 including the espadaña and much of the convento had disappeared prior to the beginning of preservation work.
The espadaña was lost in the earthquake of 1887
The espadaña or arched pediment above the entryway came down in the earthquake of 1887 and was replaced in 1921.
Entrance to the sacristy
The arched doorway leading to the sacristy was lost prior to the beginning of preservation work and was never replaced.
Granary and mortuary chapel
Much stabilization work had to be done to the mortuary chapel and the cemetery walls to prevent further deterioration.
Custodian Boundy's police dog
Treasure hunting was a favorite activity at Tumacácori so security had to be robustly enforced.
Custodian George Boundey
It was during Boundey's time that many of Tumacácori's most noticeable improvements came about such as the building of the Visitor Center.
Many of the Visitor Center's architectural features such as the scalloped doorway were inspired by a 1935 expedition of National Park Service specialists to northern Sonora.
President Theodore Roosevelt
Preservation work continues annually at Tumacácori including the application of plaster and white wash to the iconic dome.
Second Custodian Louis R. Caywood
Adobe and plaster have a short maintenance cycle and require constant vigilance to preserve.
Early preservationists at Tumacácori
Early preservationists used concrete to protect historic adobe buildings not knowing that the impermeable modern material led to moisture accumulating inside the adobe wall.
Last updated: August 1, 2014