Who needs a special use permit?

Many special activities may occur in national parks. Commercial filming and photography, conducting religious services, weddings, adventure races, and scientific research are just a few of the special uses that may be permitted under approved circumstances. These special use permits must be obtained in advance and may require payment of a fee.

Research and Collecting Permits

Please visit the National Park Service Research Permit and Reporting website for information regarding scientific research permits. Once you are on the website, click on “Applications” near the top of the left hand column. If you have any specific questions pertaining to research permits at Horseshoe Bend National Military Park, please email or call 256-234-7111.

Commercial Filming and Photography Permit

Filming/photography permits are issued when these activities or associated sound recordings are conducted within the park to ensure protection of resources, to prevent significant disruption of normal visitor uses, or when they involve props, models, professional crews and casts or set dressings.

Filming/photography permits are not required for visitors using cameras and/or recording devices for their own personal use or for sound technicians and film or video news crews at BREAKING NEWS events.

General Permits

Weddings and other special events, first amendment activities, and any potential ground-disturbing activities in the park require the issuance of a special use permit.

To Apply

Fill out the application and send it with the application fee (if applicable for your particular park use) to the park mailing address.

To request a permit application by phone, contact 256-234-7111.

What Does It Cost?

A non-refundable processing fee must accompany the commercial filming/photography application. The completed application must be accompanied by the application fee in the form of a cashiers check, money order, or personal check in the amount of $100.00 made payable to National Park Service. Other fees for the permit issuance may also apply. Proof of liability insurance may also be required. The general application for a special use permit for all other activities does not require an application fee. However, there may be fees associated with the issuance with the permit and proof of liability insurance may also be required.

Please note that federal procedures require your Social Security Number or Tax Identification Number on the back of all checks or money orders accepted for deposit in the amount of $25.00 or more. You must supply your Social Security Number or Tax Identification Number in order for your check to be accepted and your application to be processed and/or your permit to be authorized.

How Long Does It Take To Get a Permit?

The information supplied on the application will be used to determine whether a permit will be issued. You will be notified of the disposition of the application and the necessary steps to secure your final permit. Allow at least four (4) business days for processing of the application. Note that this is an application only and does not serve as permission to conduct a filming project or any other special use of the park. If your request is approved, a permit containing applicable conditions and regulations will be sent to the person designated on the application. The permit must be signed and returned to the park prior to the event accompanied by any applicable fees. For major events that may request extensive activity or involve safety issues, please allow at least 45 days for processing the permit once the request is approved.

Last updated: April 14, 2015

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

11288 Horseshoe Bend Road
Daviston, AL 36256


256 234-7111

Contact Us