The George Washington Memorial Parkway joined the Trash Free Parks program on April 22, 2013. Trash cans were removed from the following areas:
- Clara Barton National Historic Site
- Clara Barton Parkway
- Daingerfield Island
- Great Falls Park
- Fort Marcy
- Lyndon Baines Johnson Memorial Grove
- George Washington Memorial Parkway Overlooks
- Roaches Run Waterfowl Sanctuary
- Theodore Roosevelt Island
- Turkey Run Park
Please be prepared to dispose of your trash properly by carrying it out of the park when you leave.
A trash free program has many benefits, including:
- Fostering a partnership between visitors and the park by encouraging people to take an active role in maintaining a trash-free park.
- Encouraging people to adopt a carry in, carry out Leave No Trace principle.
- Encouraging people to reduce, reuse, and recycle.
- Reducing odors in the picnic area.
- Increasing visitor safety by reducing the number of stinging insects, rodents, and other wildlife in the picnic area.
- Allowing staff time and funds spent on trash collection to be applied to other projects and improvements within the park. (These projects include facility and grounds maintenance, and resource preservation.)
- Reducing the amount of litter in the park.
- Establishing a commitment to park sustainability and responsible park use that will carry on to future generations.
How to Cut Down on Waste
- Buy durable, reusable picnic plates and silverware. This eliminates plastic and saves money.
- Repair equipment such as chairs and sports equipment.
- Bring reusable tablecloths and cloth napkins.
- Use reusable plates, cups, and silverware.
- Bring beverages in reusable containers. Many park areas have water fountains where you can refill.
- Separate recyclables from the rest of the trash and recycle them at home.
- Ask your local collection service about what items you can include in your home recycling bin.
- Purchase products that are packaged in recycled materials.
- Start a compost heap at home.
Answers to frequently asked questions about the parkway's Trash Free Parks program.
The Environmental Protection Agency's website with information and tips on how you can Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.