Historic Plaques along the southern end of the George Washington Memorial Parkway

A black and white photo of a child sprinkling dirt in front of a boulder with a plaque A black and white photo of a child sprinkling dirt in front of a boulder with a plaque

Left image
A child sprinkles historic soil in front of the plaque at the terminus of the Mount Vernon Memorial Highway
Credit: Library of Congress

Right image
The plaque as it looks in 2026.
Credit: NPS/M. Maloy

 
The Southern end of the George Washington Memorial Parkway connects Washington, D.C. to George Washington’s Mount Vernon. The roadway, originally referred to as the Mount Vernon Memorial Highway, opened in 1932, the bicentennial of Washington’s birth.

The Mount Vernon Memorial Highway section is significant as the first parkway constructed and maintained by the U.S. Government. It was also the first such road with a commemorative function explicit in its name and alignment. The George Washington Memorial Parkway south of Alexandria is probably the least altered of such early roads in the United States today. Its distinctive stone-faced arch bridges, concrete slab base, beveled curbing, and landscape plantings mark its special quality.

Planning for a highway "of noble proportions" linking Washington, D.C., with the national shrine of Mount Vernon began as early as 1887 with the formation of the Mount Vernon Avenue Association, chartered by the Commonwealth of Virginia. The vision of the nature and purpose of the road was reflected in a report from 1890:

“It is to commemorate the virtues of the grandest character in American history.... A road, therefore, built from the capital of the nation to the tomb of its founder, would not be such as built for ordinary traffic. It should have the character of a monumental structure, such as would comport with the dignity of this great nation in such an undertaking, and the grandeur of character of the man to whom it is dedicated.... The grades should be light, the alignment in graceful curves, and it should pass over some of the high grounds from which the beautiful scenery along the route could be enjoyed, and possibly near the places that Washington himself frequented--places that now have a historical interest because they are associated with him.... The roadway should be well paved and well kept. It should be such a work as no American need feel ashamed of.”
 
The road finally began construction in 1928 and opened to traffic on January 16, 1932, the bicentennial year of Washington's birth. A newspaper described the formal dedication of the roadway at Mount Vernon on November 15, 1932 by United States Senator Simeon Fess (R-OH):

“As he pulled aside the American flag draped over the marker, Senator Fess described the picturesque highway linking the Nation's Capital with its most famous historic shrine as a "fulfillment of a yearning of the people for decades" for a better access from Washington to Mount Vernon. "It was appropriate," he said, "that a great boulevard skirting a new right of way along the river, free from the inconvenience of commercial interruptions devoted wholly to the purpose of a visit to this hallowed spot, should be constructed as a permanent memorial of the Bicentennial year."

In 1932, and over the ensuing decades, numerous heritage organizations erected monuments and plaques along this section of the Parkway to honor Washington’s memory.

Today, visitors along the parkway and the Mount Vernon Trail can find at least seven different plaques and markers. They often were marking tree plantings, some of which no longer exist, or have been moved to make them more accessible to visitors. Some of them can be difficult to find, but they remain as permanent memorials to the memory of namesake of the George Washington Memorial Parkway.

Here is a listing of the extant plaques along the southern end of the Parkway, starting from the south and moving north:
 
A bronze plaque attached to a boulder.

Mount Vernon Memorial Highway Terminus Plaque

Dedicated on November 15, 1932, this plaque marks the southern terminus of the parkway. Although the roadway was opened to traffic in January of 1932, the plaque and formal dedication occurred in November of that year. On November 15, 1932 a crowd gathered at the circle near George Washington’s Mount Vernon. Senator Simeon Fess of Ohio led the dedication and Secretary of the Agriculture, Arthur M. Hyde, gave the dedication address. Afterward, soil from Valley Forge and other sites associated with George Washington was sprinkled in front of the marker.

Full text of marker:
The Mount Vernon Memorial Highway
was authorized by Congress May 23, 1928
as an activity ofthe United States Commission
for the celebration of the
two hundredth anniversary
of the birth of
George Washington
The highway was designed and constructed
under the direction of
the United States Department of Agriculture
Bureau of Public Roads.
Construction started September 12, 1929
Opened to traffic January 16, 1932
This highway was formally dedicated
to the service of the people
November 15, 1932

 
A plaque attached to a stone.

Riverside Park Plaque


In Riverside Park, on what was once part of Washington’s River Farm, is a plaque commemorating the 250th anniversary of George Washington’s birth. The plaque and 250 trees were donated by the people of Washington’s ancestral English town in 1982.

Full text of marker:
To commemorate the 250th anniversary of the birth of George Washington the citizens of the original Washington, Tyne and Wear, England present to the people of the United States 250 trees planted along the Mount Vernon Memorial Highway.
1732-1982
 
A plaque attached to a stone.

Thirteen Elms Plaque


Near the 250th plaque is another plaque on an upright stone between parking lot and Parkway. This one was dedicated in 1932 by the National Society Women Descendants of the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company, from Massachusetts. Thirteen elm trees were planted near the marker.

Full text of marker:
The thirteen adjacent elms representing the thirteen original colonies were planted in commemoration of the bicentennial celebration of George Washington’s birth and to revere the ancient and honorable artillery company of Massachusetts organized 1637.
Dedicated by The National Society, Women Descendents of the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company
November 11, 1932
 
A plaque attached to a stone.

Waynewood Parking Area Plaque


Up on top of a hill near the Waynewood parking area is a plaque on an upright stone between two large willow oaks. The plaque and trees were dedicated by the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the District of Columbia in 1932.

Full text of marker:
These willow oaks are planted in honour of the bicentennial of George Washington by the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the District of Columbia
1732-1932
 
A plaque attached to a stone.

Collingwood Entry Plaque


On a small stone along the Mount Vernon Trail, just north of where Collingwood Road enters the parkway is a small plaque in front of a tree. The tree (Red Oak) and plaque were dedicated by various chapters of the United Daughters of the Confederacy and the Children of the Confederacy.

Full text of marker:
Memorial Tree
George Washington Bicentennial
1732-1932
Gen J.E.B. Stuart Chapter No. 1851,
Confederate Flag Chapter No. 2000,
Robert E. Lee Chapter No.644,
United Daughters of the Confederacy and Children of the Confederacy in the District of Columbia
Registered American Tree Association
 
A plaque attached to a stone.

Dyke Marsh Waterfront Plaque


In the island of the southbound parkway turnaround pull-off is a small plaque on an upright stone. This plaque and a tree were dedicated by the Fairfax County Chapter of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution (D.A.R.) in 1932.

Full text of marker:
In Memory of George Washington
1732-1799
This tree is planted by Fairfax County Chapter D.A.R.
In the bicentennial year of his birth
1932
 
A plaque attached to a stone.

Belle Haven Plaque


Hidden in a median between parkway and the southern part of the northern most parking area is a plaque on large upright stone that was moved from the intersection median to its current location. This marked eight honey locusts that were planted by the Mount Vernon Chapter of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution in 1932.

Full text of marker:
These trees were planted
in commemoration of the
eight Presidents of
the United States
who were sons of Virginia.
George Washington 1789-1797
Thomas Jefferson 1801-1809
James Madison 1809-1817
James Monroe 1817-1825
Wm. Henry Harrison 1841-1841
John Tyler 1841-1845
Zachary Taylor 1849-1850
Woodrow Wilson 1913-1921
Mt. Vernon Chapter N.S.D.A.R.
Alexandria Virginia
1932
 
A plaque attached to a stone.

St. Mary’s Cemetery Plaque


This plaque is on an upright stone along Parkway at front of St. Mary’s Catholic cemetery. It is dedicated in 1932 to George Washington and two of his officers from the Revolutionary War: John Fitzgerald and Robert Hooe. It marks the location of the first Catholic Church in Virginia. The creation of the church was spearheaded by John Fitzgerald, with the land being donated by Robert Hooe and some of the first money being donated by George Washington.

Full text of marker:
This stone taken from the canal of
the Potomac Company of which
Washington and Fitzgerald
were Directors commemorates
the erection of the
First Catholic Church
in Virginia, A. D. 1795,
which stood until 1839 about
twenty feet behind this marker.
In grateful acknowledgement of
their aid in establishing this church
the three trees to the north of this
stone have been dedicated as follows to
General George Washington
as subscriber to the building
Colonel John Fitzerald,
his favorite Aide de Camp,
as the collector of the building fund,
Colonel Robert Hooe,
Mayor of Alexandria,
as the donor of the acre of land.
In commemoration of the bicentennial of the
birth of George Washington
this tablet was donated by the Holy Name Society
of Sacred Heart Church (Vailsburg), Newark, N.J.
on the 133rd anniversary of the funeral of
Colonel John Fitzgerald
December 4, 1932.

Last updated: July 21, 2026

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

George Washington Memorial Parkway Headquarters
700 George Washington Memorial Parkway

McLean, VA 22101

Phone:

703 289-2500

Contact Us