Permits & Reservations

Marathon at Sandy Hook
Sandy Hook Marathon


Do I need a permit for that?

In order to keep visitors safe and to conserve the scenery, natural resources, historic resources and wildlife within the park, special use permits are required for certain activities.

Permits are issued by each of Gateway's three units. Permit fees are non-refundable and are based on annual cost recovery. These fees include the cost of permit processing and administration.

One permit that is handled uniformly at all parts of Gateway is for scientific research. Please go to to access the National Park Service Research Permit and Reporting System.

Do I need a permit for a First Amendment Activity?

First Amendment activities include freedom of speech, press, religion, and assembly. All of these are constitutional rights. However, the courts have recognized that activities and rights may be reasonably regulated to protect park resources.

A small group, defined as "25 people or less," is NOT required to obtain a First Amendment permit if it is located within a park designated site and have no more than leaflets, booklets and/or hand held signs. A permit is required for any small group that:

  • wants to hold a demonstration or distribute and/or sell printed matter somewhere outside a designated First Amendment area;
  • wants to use equipment (i.e. tables, banners, platforms, etc) even if it is within the designated area;
  • is merely an extension of another group already availing itself of the 25 person maximum;
  • wants to guarantee they will have priority for the use of a location, including the designated First Amendment areas.

A large group, defined as "more than 25 people," IS required to obtain a First Amendment Permit even if it is utilizing a park designated First Amendment site.

For all First Amendment events send in the special use permit that corresponds to the location you wish to utilize. There are no fees associated with First Amendment permits.

Jamaica Bay Unit Permits and Reservations

Jamaica Bay issues permits for activities listed below. Additional permits from other agencies may be required for some actions. Permits are required for group campgrounds, community garden plots, archery, fishing area parking and picnicking. Call 718-338-3799 for further information.

Filming and Photography
Special Uses
Sports Fields
Fishing parking permits are park wide permits and can be obtained in any unit of Gateway.
Breezy Point Tip Off Road Permits, necessary to access the sand road, sand lot and Breezy Point Tip, are available in limited numbers. A 4-wheel drive vehicle is required. All-wheel drive vehicles are not recommended. The Off Road Permit is valid anywhere in the park where the fishing parking permit is honored.

The operator must present the following equipment at the time of purchase and carry each item at all times when driving off road at the Breezy Point Tip: 7 foot (minimum) fishing pole, reel and tackle, shovel, tow chain or rope, jack, jack support board, tire pressure gauge, appropriate spare tire, trash container and portable toilet. Call 718-338-3799 for season and permit distribution information.

Camping: Camp Gateway is open all year round. Tent sites are $30 per night, $210 per week; RV Sites (Floyd Bennett Field only) are $30 per night, $210 per week. Campers will also need to purchase a parking pass if using the beach parking lots during the fee season (Memorial Day through Labor Day).


Sandy Hook Unit Permits and Reservations

Sandy Hook issues permits for activities listed below. Additional permits from other agencies may be required for some activities. Permits and/or reservations are required for fishing, ceremonies, camping, after hours park access, special events, filming and photography.

Filming & Photography: For more information about taking stills or moving images at Sandy Hook, visit Pay your application fee online.

Standard Special Use Permit Application: Ceremonies, After Hours Uses and Memorials
Please see Fact Sheet for Ceremonies and Fact Sheet for After Hours Access.
Fact Sheet for Ceremonies
Fact Sheet for After Hours Access

Non-Standard Special Use Permit Application: Sporting Events, Runs and Other Events. Pay your application fee online.

Chapel: Rent the Sandy Hook Chapel for weddings, memorials, meetings, lectures, family gatherings and other large events. For information and photos, see Pay your application fee online. Please be aware that demand for the Chapel is strong and that weekends often book a full year in advance.

For questions regarding the Sandy Hook Chapel, please email us.

After Hours Fishing Permits are available at the Sandy Hook Visitor Center 9 AM - 5 PM year round and at the Entrance Station as staffing permits during the peak season. Fishing permits can also be purchased online and mailed within 14 days or picked up after 7 days. Permits are $50.

Camp Gateway- Sandy Hook: Tent sites $30 per night, $210 per week.


Staten Island Unit Permits and Reservations

Permits and/or reservations are required for parking (fishing, boat trailer and nature study), special use of the Fort Wadsworth overlook, ceremonies, athletic fields, Miller Field gardens, after hours park access, special events, filming and photography. Contact 718-354-4574 or email us.

Great Kills Park: A $50 Boat Launch Permit is available for Great Kills only, and the launch site operates from April-November. These are available at Great Kills Ranger Station, which is open Sunday, Thursday and Friday from 10 AM to 2:30 PM. Call 718-819-7574 for more information.

Crooke's Point: A $50 Nature Study Permit is available. Call 718-819-7574/718-351-6970 for more information.

World War Veterans Park at Miller Field: Permits are required for community garden plots, sports fields, and picnicking. Call 718-351-6970 for further information Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 10 am - 2 pm.

Special Use Permit Application

Film and Photography Permit Application

The Staten Island Unit sells fishing parking permits at Great Kills Park Sunday, Thursday and Friday from 10 am - 2 pm. For more information call 718-819-7574.

In order to recieve a permit you must first register with the
New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. You can register for Marine Fishing online or by calling 1-866-933-2257 Monday - Friday from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM.

Camping is also available in Staten Island, at Fort Wadsworth. Tent sites are $30 per night, $210 per week.

Last updated: May 15, 2018

Contact the Park

Mailing Address:

210 New York Avenue
Staten Island, NY 10305


(718) 354-4606

Contact Us